What’s in this policy?
By data, we mean data that are generated from your activity on EA’s website, such as cookies, log information, interactions, and device information. By we, we mean Education Analytics. By you, we mean individuals (users) who visit and engage with EA’s website.
What we believe:
- We believe privacy is fundamental to our mission and our business. Even one minor breach of data privacy puts our reputation and our bottom line in jeopardy. More than that, it undermines the very mission we work on day in and day out to fulfill: putting students and their best interests at the forefront of everything we do.
- We believe data are something we protect, not something we own. It’s important to us that you know how your information is protected, because it’s a core feature (not a side effect) of our work.
- We believe security adds value to what we do. Our work consists of enhancing the data provided to us through things like data analysis and visualization, and then giving it back to the people who own it. If we can’t do that securely, our work loses its value.
What we promise:
- We will never sell the data we collect from our website.
- We will never use data we collect from our website for advertising purposes.
- We use the latest best practices from the broader security industry to protect all the data we collect.
- We are transparent about our practices.
- We rigorously adhere to and comply with all applicable federal and state laws.
What we might do with data we obtain:
- Improve your experience: Analyze trends and patterns in your activities, so we can make improvements to our website
- Content optimization: Monitor how often you are visiting certain pages of our website, so we know what’s useful and what’s not
- Enhance functionality: By studying our visitors’ interactions on our website, we can identify technical issues and optimize our website’s performance for different browsers and devices.
What we will never do with data we obtain:
- Sell the data we obtain to any outside agency
- Use the data to advertise to you (or to anyone else)
- Share the data with anyone outside of Education Analytics (unless required by law)
- Use the data for any purpose other than improving our website experience
What data we collect:
- Cookies: When you visit our website at edanalytics.org, we may send one or more cookies to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser. Our website may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie is temporary and disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser during later visits to our website. You can remove cookies by following the instructions provided by your web browser. You can set your web browser to refuse all cookies, or to indicate when a cookie is being sent, but note that some features of our website may not function properly if you disable cookies.
- Log information: When you access EA’s website, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends whenever you visit any website. These server logs can include information such as your IP address, browser type, operating system, referring pages, exit pages, clickstream data, and time stamps.
- Interactions: When you access EA’s website, our systems record information about the pages you visit on our website, the buttons you click on our website, and other actions you take while browsing our website.
- Device information: When you access EA’s website, our systems record information about the device you use to access our website, such as your device type, mobile network information if applicable, and your device’s unique identifier.
What services we use to collect data from our website:
EA uses Matomo Analytics to collect and process data to provide insights into website traffic and user behavior. Matomo collects user information like cookies, log information, device information, location information, and interactions. These data help our internal team analyze how you interact with our website.
EA has selected Matomo Analytics as the provider of these web usage analytics because they are an open-source platform committed to exceptional privacy protection and committed to never sharing any of the analytics they collect on EA’s behalf with any other party. This aligns to our promise that the information we obtain is solely used for the purposes we’ve outlined here—all in service of improving your experience on our website.
EA also uses Google Search Console, a web service provided by Google Inc. This tool allows us to monitor and analyze data related to how our website appears in Google's search results, identify which search queries lead you to our site, and understand your interaction with our content. Please note that we do not use Google Analytics on our website. Google Search Console may collect certain information automatically, such as your IP address and the browser you are using, to provide us with valuable insights into the performance of our site. Rest assured, any data collected through Google Search Console is used solely for improving our website's search presence and enhancing user experience.